Suing a Government Entity in Washington State

Suing a Government Entity in Washington State

If you’ve suffered a serious injury, you need compensation that covers the expenses of that injury. You’re injury resulted from another person’s carelessness, something from which it is difficult to recover without help. However, what if the negligent party belonged to a government entity?

Suing the government isn’t easy. You’re dealing with a powerful group that has a great deal of protection under the law, which makes it difficult to take action against them. Contacting a firm that can help, like a Craig Swapp & Associates Washington attorney, will make getting your compensation easier, but you must know what to do when injured by a government entity.

If you’re suing a government agency, keep the following information in mind for your claim. You must protect your claim to get the compensation you deserve.

File Your Claim Properly

Filing a personal injury claim against a government entity is often a complicated process. While your typical personal injury claim means going to the courthouse and filing a claim, you must take a few more steps to file against the government. It begins with filing the correct forms with the Office of Risk Management.

You must file several pieces of information, such as your personal information, how your injury occurred, descriptions of the injuries, and how much you seek in damages. Once you’ve done this, you must wait 60 days for further action, while the government agency decides whether to approve your claim and pay your settlement, or deny your claim and take it to court.  

File in Time

Keep in mind that you have a limited time to file your claim. While you have the same amount of time for a government claim as you would for any other claim– three years— it’s best to act as soon as possible to file your claim and get started right away.

Three years may seem like plenty of time to file a claim, but don’t depend on that. You’re suffering from serious injuries that make it difficult to function, and may therefore impede your ability to handle your claim as well as you could before the incident occurred.

You must act fast, so speak to a lawyer at once. They’ll guide you through the process and make sure you get the compensation you deserve.

Get Help with Your Claim

If you’re thinking about suing a government agency for your damages, reach out for help from an attorney. Dealing with a claim is difficult enough without the complications that a claim against the government brings. You’re already injured and struggling with the complications from the incident. So, why make it more difficult on yourself by fighting back alone?

Suing a government agency isn’t easy, but with the right help, you can recover the compensation you need, and deserve, for your recovery.

Andrew Castro

Comments are closed.