Because there are so many to choose from, selecting the right personal injury lawyer to help you with your case could be a challenge. Some personal injury lawyers have their names spread all over television and the radio, while others have no advertisements at all. You can find some attorneys in beautiful high-rise buildings and others in a strip mall downtown. No matter where you hear about them or their location, it’s essential that you learn how to pick the right attorney for your injury claim. Let’s look at some tips below.
Use Your Network
- For those who have been involved in other legal matters including divorce or any other civil case, contact that lawyer to receive a referral. Under most circumstance, you had a good relationship with them, and they will put you in contact with someone with their same values.
- Request advice from friends and family members who have used a personal injury lawyer like Lopez and Humphries, Attorneys at Law, for example, in the past and had a positive experience.
- If your friends or loved ones have not used a personal injury lawyer, but they have retained a lawyer for another purpose and have had positive experiences, ask them for a referral.
The Initial Consultation
Once you’ve received a few referrals, it’s time to schedule a consultation. Remember reputable attorneys do not charge for these meetings. During this first visit, be sure to bring all of your documentation. It’s at this point that you can become acquainted with the attorney, as well as develop a good idea of how they will work on your case.
Under some circumstances, cases could last several months or a couple of years. Your relationship with your personal injury lawyer begins with the initial consultation and, following an honest evaluation of this time together, you can decide if this is the right person for you. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Could you meet with the attorney? If the lawyer is too busy for a meeting, then it’s a good indication that communicating with them is going to be difficult throughout the process. However, busy law firms will have good paralegals on staff who handles cases adequately and effectively initially.
- How organized was the office? If the office is disorganized, this is a sign that the lawyer is also working in a disorderly manner. As a result, these actions could lead to lost documents and files, missed court appearances and deadlines, and cases mishandled.
- Was everyone professional and well-groomed? Because your attorney is going to be attending depositions or court hearings with other lawyers, it’s critical that they maintain a professional demeanor and appearance.
Locate a Trustworthy Attorney
It’s critical that you have complete confidence in your personal injury (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_injury) lawyer. If you’re second-guessing them throughout your case, then it’s an unfortunate situation for everyone involved. Consider using your network for locating someone accountable and trustworthy. While the use of advertisements (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_advertising) will help you determine what types of cases attorneys work with, as well as where their practices are located, they should not be how you solely base your decision.